In any home renovation or construction job, the air you breathe can become contaminated with dust. With dust comes fine particles of plaster, sawdust, fiberglass, or mold. Many of these particles can be toxic and can cause long term health effects. That is why an Air Purifier is a must have for any home renovation or construction job.
You can also encounter air contaminated with VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) from paint, solvents, glues, and cleaning products. Many of these VOC’s are toxic as well and can cause long term health effects. Depending on the age and condition of the home you may be working on, there could also be asbestos insulation, toxic mold or lead in old paint. If you encounter any of these substances, they need to be removed professionally before work starts.
All these pollutants can be harmful to children, the elderly, asthmatics, and people who are immunocompromised. Here at AML we have a range of air purifiers to suit any of your needs. The Heavy-Duty Air Purifier we offer here has a HEPA filter for those fine dust particles and an ION and Carbon filter for the VOC’s. Check out our blog post What does an Air Purifier do?
Tips for home renovation dust control
Once home renovations or construction starts, you’re going to want to protect yourself and your family. Here are a few tips to remove dust from the air, as well as paint fumes in the air.
- Use an Air Purifier with a Carbon, Ion and HEPA filters.
- Keep the area where renovations are going on well contained. Plastic barriers and zipper systems are available for this purpose.
- Vacuum frequently with a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA filter.
- Cover air vents in the area being renovated to keep dust and fumes from spreading through the house via the HVAC system.
- Depending on the season and the level of pollen and air pollution outside, consider keeping windows open in the area being renovated.
- Use VOC-free, odor-free paints. That’s the easiest way to avoid breathing cancer-causing paint fumes and prevent paint-fume poisoning.
- Replace your HVAC filter with the highest quality one you can find and check it frequently.
- Consider cleaning the ducts in your HVAC system to remove any particles that may have settled there.
Air Purifiers can make a big difference on any home renovations or construction job. They could keep you and your family or employees safe from harmful toxins while exposed to them for prolonged periods of time. Not to mention the added benefit of breathing cleaner air in general. Check out our line of Air purifiers here at AML.
Written By: AML Staff